With the sudden boom of dieting in the country, different diet programs have been introduced in the country. Although many experts believe that proper exercise and not only diet can lose those pounds in a healthy way, many people still believe in the power of diet programs and diet plans. One of the most controversial kinds of diet plans is the low-carbohydrate diet program, which focuses on the reduction of carbohydrate consumption in the body.
According to the theory, when carbohydrates are no longer being taken in, the body will be forced to use fats and water as alternative sources of energy; thereby helping to shed off those unwanted pounds.
Fats, unbeknownst to many, can actually be converted to energy. The body just doesn't use it as the first priority because it is more complex in structure and therefore, harder to break down and convert into energy. Among the popular low carbohydrate diets in the country is the Atkins diet.
Despite arguments from its critics, low carbohydrate diet has proven its effectiveness in terms of losing that extra weight. To date, it counts millions of followers not only in the country but also outside America.
Actually, cutting down on carbohydrates in the diet is a practice that people have been doing for years. When people cut down on their rice or bread or do not eat rice at all, they are reducing their carbohydrate intake. Of course, because it is not an official diet plan they are not really restricting themselves completely. When you are under a diet plan, you are not allowed to eat any kind of carbohydrates.
One of the advantages of low carbohydrate diet is the fact that it can actually increase the levels of good cholesterol in the body. This is really good news to people who have a heart problem. This is perhaps the reason why Atkins diet was used for cardio patients. This diet plan can also reduce the amount of triglycerides in the body. Triglycerides can be dangerous when combined with a high level of LDL or bad cholesterol. Both can increase the risk for heart attack and heart disease.
Low carb diet plans are also found to be good in balancing mood swings. They will not be prone to extreme lows such as depression or extreme high. People who are under the program are found to have fairly stable energy levels unlike those with high carbo levels.
LOW CARB DIET 101
Indeed, a lot has been said about various diets and how these work for some people. There' s the Atkins Diet, the South Beach, the After-Six Diet plan and so on goes on the list of diet crazes that swept the western world and even Asian regions. Among all these, one type of diet has become popular than the others it's called the Low Carb Diet.
Basically, low carb diet actually emphasizes cutting down on from a person's daily food intake. This diet allows the dieter to take in all foods except those that have carbohydrates. Although there are many testimonies that prove that low carb diet really works, you must be very knowledgeable first about its pros and cons before deciding to go with the hype.
People who have tried low carb diets say that its advantages include:
1. Faster and quicker weight loss compared to fasting.
2. The diet may result to higher protein intake and absorption.
3. It stabilizes blood sugar levels and is extremely beneficial to those who suffer from diabetics.
Experts say that the disadvantages of low carb diets may include:
- High cholesterol levels due to the lack of protein-rich and fatty foods that has saturated fats.
- Increased blood pressure due to elimination of whole grains products that help lower blood pressure.
- It can lead to osteoporosis because there will be no enough supply of calcium.
- In some cases, this diet can lead to diarrhea, constipation, and severe headaches.
- Low carb diets increase the possibility of lower mental acuity.
- Instead of losing weight, this diet can lead to weight gain.
If you are planning on taking low carb diet, here are some helpful tips to keep you in track:
1. Make sure to drink lots of water to avoid dehydration and constipation.
2. Consider taking in more fiber and vitamin supplements.
3. Cease from consuming products that has sugar.
4. Cut down on taking in products that contain caffeine.
5. Monitor your daily carbohydrate intake.
6. Don't mind calories, they are allowed in this diet.
7. Acquire a carbohydrate counter to keep you updated.
8. Do regular physical activities and exercise to reach ketosis easily.
9. Brace yourself for diarrhea that may last for a couple of days.
10. If possible, avoid eating foods that have saturated fats.